You know what that first brisk October morning signals… sweater weather, changing leaves, new in-season vegetables (i.e. pumpkin everything), hot drinks, and (drum roll) HOT SOUPS! Nothing feels better than wearing a turtleneck on your couch with your softest socks, your favorite candle burning, and a warm bowl of soup.
To satisfy that craving, we’re laying out our top 6 soup recipes to cozy up your fall. We’ve included some healthy options to keep the winter gains to a minimum… and…we threw in some of our feel good favorites too.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This soup was so simple yet absolutely delicious. If you are a mushroom fan, this soup was made for you. If not, skip to the next.
- It’s simple. Takes 20 minutes to make from start to finish.
- It’s healthy. Coconut milk (or cream for that matter) is the healthy kind of fat that help your body function. Mushrooms are packed with antioxidants, selenium, and vitamins. You can feel great about eating this soup.
- It’s customize-able. Choose your favorite mushrooms! We loved their suggestion of White Button and Portobello.
Ginger Turmeric Chicken Soup
This soup is busting with health, and it tastes amazing.
- It fights sickness. There is basically nothing bad in this soup. Pack it as full of ginger, garlic, and turmeric as you want or as your pallet can handle. If you want to make this 100% guiltless, swap out the pearl Israeli couscous with tri-colored quinoa, and use bone broth as your base. Use coconut oil as your fat and it will naturally thicken the broth a bit for you. We added kale as well and didn’t regret it.
- It’s flavor-packed. Ginger, turmeric, and garlic? Say no more. Except there is more. Rosemary and thyme top off this flavor pallet perfectly.
Sausage, White Bean, and Kale Soup
This soup is hearty and healthy, and helps you get amazing nutrients without even trying.
- It’s filled to the brim with one of the world’s favorite super-foods: Kale! Pack it with as much kale as you can, we promise it will end up being less than you think.
- It’s flavor is unmatched. The sausage in this soup creates a broth that tastes SO good. It is light, but still manages to feel slightly creamy. Add a little Parmesan or Asiago, and viola! You just made soup magic.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
This soup is a classic done right.
- It’s extremely hassle free. Well, excluding the eye-makeup-ruining crying session you will most likely experience while cutting the onions. But other than that… just let your slow cooker do the work for you!
- It’s a crowd pleaser. This soup is a classic for a reason!
From: The Kitchn.com
Creamy Tuscan Garlic Tortellini Soup
This. Soup. Is. Amazing.
- It is heavy in cream (hence how amazing it is), but some days it’s just worth it. Think Italian countryside on a back patio with a clay fire place roaring and a wool blanket draped on your lap. That is where this soup takes you.
- It has tortellini. The tortellini is so tender it falls apart in your mouth. Absolutely delicious.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Soup
- It has bacon. Did we say bacon? Yes, you heard right. Bacon is for all seasons, it doesn’t discriminate. Not only is bacon garnishing this soup, it is also roasted and blended into the actual base of the soup.
- It uses a home-run ingredient. Goat cheese. The creaminess of this cheese paired with the saltiness of the bacon really hits this soup out of this world.
Enjoy your fall, and get cozy!